Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thank You...No, really. Thank YOU!

Seriously, thanks. About three weeks ago I received an email that really made me think about being courtesy and respectful to others. One of my (Jayson’s) favorite speaker/author/host is Larry Winget. Larry sent out a rant about “takers.” If you don’t know him, he’s the crazy bald dude that hosts a show on A and E called “Big Spender.” While I haven’t ever watched the show start to finish, I’m sure he does a good job…I digress….
Fast forward to Friday evening when Christy and myself attended a company dinner function. Great evening, fun company, and much laughter (Craig Bielik – I still crack up thinking about him). However, the evening hit a sour note as our COO was introduced to discus and explain the company (particularly for the spouse in attendance who did not fully understand what the company does). As the COO started, there were those who did not feel it necessary to show a bit of courtesy or respect. I was appalled at those “me” people. I was actually embarrassed. While I respect this man for what he has accomplished and who he is, no person deserves this treatment. On our way home from the dinner Christy commented how she was excited to get to hear what our organization does, but how ultimately she ended embarrassed for our organization because of a few individuals.
What has happened to showing respect for others? I see us (as a whole) degrading where we are “expecters” meaning that we expect someone to help us at the bank. We expect those to deliver our mail. We expect those to file reports or answer phones. Seriously, take a minute and reflect on those people who help you every day. And next time, say thanks, and mean it…
So
· For the neighbor that waves or stops in to say hi,
· For the mailman who is prompt and smiles,
· For the home teachers that are considered friends,
· For the church members that “bear on another’s burdens,”
· For the Receptionist who is always there with a smile,
· For the co-workers who are part of the “team,”
· For the family members who call just to say hi,
· For the wife who treats me like a king,
· For the daughters that truly make me smile and make my eyes glisten,
· For all those who make me want to be a better person,
Thanks. I don’t say it nearly enough. But I am trying.

1 comment:

The Huffs said...

Wow... I am glad you guys have a blog. This is great. keep posting! Love ya guys!